Saturday, September 15, 2012

Feeling like a total champ

     Such a great freaking Saturday today.
 N and I slept in for a bit then got up and out to run some errands.  One errand was to hit REI to see about getting me some new running shoes.  No luck, they didn't have the style I liked in the size I need so we'll probably just end up ordering them.  I took a quick minute to look through the clearance stuff.  I am in the market for some compression leg sleeves, full length compression pants, shorts and just more gear in general.  I wanted to check out some things for running in cooler weather since I am coming up on my first fall/winter season working out.  I tried on a few different things that I like but they mostly we're discounted down enough or fit the way I'd hoped.  There were these long sleeve REI brand tops that I thought could been nice so I tried on the XL, way too big.  Tried on the L, better but still baggy in the arms.  Figured hey, I'll try the M but I don't like the color so I won't be hear broken when it doens't fit.  I was wrong.  IT. FIT.  I wore my first size fucking medium and in sports wear!  I ended up not getting it as the seams inside felt like the would rub and be uncomfortable.  What I did find though was a North Face pull over 3/4 zip.  I was like meh, it's white I dunno.  It was a Large (sorry mo, thought this was a medium too, my mistake) so I figured I'd throw it on to get and idea for different style.  I fell in love with it.  It was on sale for a good price.  I marched my butt right over to the counter to buy it and at the last minute N piped up "I'd like to get this for you as a 6 month gift, you have done so amazing.  Can I do this for you?" ::swoon::  Of course I accepted and thanked him profusely.  Want to see my new love?

Um, do I look like a bad ass or what??

And look what the sleeves do!  I love that!!

     UGH!  So freaking awesome!!

     We headed up town a couple blocks so N could get a new jacket at Gap, they were having a sale and he got it for 25% off!  Cannot beat that!  I looked around in Gap Body, their work out stuff, but their prices were way too high and I didn't like the material they were using.  

     Off we went to Washington Square Park to sit in the shade and judge people shoot the shit.  We were there about a half an hour before we headed out for dinner at a favorite place called Dojo where I had an amazing California Salad with fresh greens, radishes, grilled shrimp, avocado and ginger miso dressing.  Om. Nom.

     When we headed how we went by way of both the Goodwill and the Salvation Army but we didn't pick anything up.  We were pooped from a long day out and took and accidental 30 minute nap.  Oops.

     I still needed to get my jog on so I invited N along and he graciously accepted.  I got to test drive my new top and spend some more time with my fave guy.  We walked and jogged together for the first bit but then he took off, he was usually about a block ahead of me but then he took a turn that I didn't so I lost him for the last leg.  On my first jog I took off SO FUCKING FAST. I have no idea why but it felt great in my legs so I went with it.  I payed for it later when I didn't make it to the end of my next jogging section.  It was a really good run though.  I think I am getting some shin/calf splints so I am going to lay off the running for at least 2 days to let my body recover.  In some reading I did about the splints it said to ice your full calf for 10-15 minutes after a run to reduce swelling.  I knew I'd never be able to make that worth my time with the ice pack I have so I drew a cold bath.  I set my time for 11 minutes and hopped it.  Let me tell you, shit felt incredible.  I read one of my books while I was in there but then when my timer went off I still wanted more so I set it for 6 more minutes and laid back to let the cold water work it's magic on my back and arms.  Magic is an understatement.  I think I really saved myself some heart ache by hopping in the way I did.  I am currently in my blue fuzzy robe, sweats and fuzzy yellow socks and I feel like a million bucks.  

    Want to fell like a million dollars?  Want to feel more confident in your life?  Start. to. run.  General working out will do it too, but nothing feels like running does.

     See you tomorrow for weigh in, new pics & new measurements!

     xoxo

10 comments:

  1. Is there a nearby park to run around in? I found that the only way I avoided shin splints was running on grass. Love Mo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nearby is relative. Prospect Park isn't actually far, it's just out of the way. Most are from where I am.

      Delete
  2. as you know i think you are amazing! you always pull yourself togther and get done what has to be done.that way i am always so proud of you. your husband is a great man as well.
    love you. you know who

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Daddie-o, N says thank you too for all the great things you've been saying about him.

      Delete
  3. You look so great! I almost don't recognize you! I have thought about running, but I don't know if it is for me. But I do like to walk. What do you recommend as a starting point? Besides getting off my ass and doing it. Since I work in a restaurant I am on my feet a lot more. And it would be nice to feel a bit more in shape.

    Heather B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Couch to 5K. I started Week 1 like 3 times and then did week 3 twice, week 4 twice etc, you can really go at your own pace. Building the habit is the hardest part. The working out part is easy-peasy.

      Delete
  4. YOU are amazing - and yes, you look bad-ass! :)

    ReplyDelete