Saturday, December 22, 2012

Day 284 - full day recovery day 1

     I did a bunch of research today about what to do when you are injured but want to stay on track.
 These articles were my faves:  Shape.com articleCity Girl Bites articleActive.com article (4 Ways to Stay Positive Through Injuries.)  They were all pretty similar.  Keep your chin up, focus on food in take, don't rush it, find something else to focus on.  Sounds good.

     I kept a journal today all day of my recovery, it made a difference to know what I'd done.  It kept me up  on taking my ibuprofen every few hours too.  What I learned today was this: bending and flexing my knees and feet a few times before I got out of bed help get rid of stiffness without over exerting myself. As soon as I got out of bed I only walked far enough to take ibuprofen then sit down and bandage my knee (seems to have really kept the swelling way way down.)  For as long as I stood I sat with my leg elevated longer.  I stood to cook and then walked to do a few errands but always raised my leg up when I sat.  Keep it wrapped all day. There has still been some pain behind the knee cap, especially at one point where I briefly stood with my knee unbandaged.  Other then that the pain is minimal.  

     I took a look at what my food intake would need to be like to say on track weight loss wise.  Based on the Harris-Benedict Formula I would need to take in 1306 calories a day loose weight.  That's just under 300 calories a meal if you eat 5 times a day or just over 435 if you eat 3 times a day.  That is totally doable.  If you take a look at the link, the formula is really easy to follow.  The number you get at the end is the calorie intake you need to maintain your current weight with your current activity level.  You add 500 to that number if you want to put on weight and you subtract 500 from that number if you are looking to loose.  My number is based on being sedentary and wanting to loose weight.  My goal is to do more like 1500 calories a day (an easier break down to 300 calories a meal if eating 5 times a day) starting Monday when I am back at work. 

     It felt good to take it easy today.  I did some upper body stretches and even tried my hand at a few bicep dips.  Both were great, required little input from my leg and when I am feel better will be something to add into the mix.

     Tomorrow is my day with my family for Christmas so it will be nice to have another day to just sit and keep my leg up.  

     I hope you're all well and are enjoying the info about recovery.  Hopefully it'll serve as a place to look back to when it's you doing the recovering.  

     p.s. Happy Birthday to my incredible, loving and all around awesome Daddie-o.  You taught me that it is never too late to start doing what I love and for always reminding me that there is nothing I cannot do if I put my mind to it.  I couldn't ask for a better man to be my father.  xoxo

     xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment