Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Spaghetti Squash!


     I think I've said before that Mo belongs to this really awesome group called Suppers.  
Each week they learn about healthy food and work on some awesome recipes .  They also get have some of their food questions answered: What makes a good smoothie?  What is gluten free all about?  How can I adjust some of my favorite recipes for a diabetic in my family?  This week was Mo's question:  What's in season now?

     I love that question!  I've done all kinds of research to learn what's in season when and where and I have my favorites for each season.  Fall and winter is time for the best root vegetables and all kinds of squash, which brings me to what I am writing about now.... Spaghetti Squash!

     N and I recieved a Spaghetti Squash in our CSA last week and I have just been moving it around my kitchen trying to figure out what to do with it.  I mean I'd heard you could use it like spaghetti but was it really true?  Was it going to be as big of a pain in the ass to prepare as the pumpkins I used to make pumpkin pie from scratch?  I really had no idea, so being inspired by Mo's curiosity on seasonal vegetables I did what I always do and I turned to the internet.  

     I found this great video on youtube that gave me a quick run down.

     The link I found that really helped was this one.  It really showed me how easy it was to prepare.  

     Here's my progress:
To start out our you stab the crap out of the Spaghetti Squash

I think I got like 12 holes in this thing.
It was so hard to pierce the skin!

Then you pop the whole thing in the oven for an hour at 375 degrees

Once it's done baking in the oven it is really soft.
Let it sit out for a while to cool.  
Then cut of the end with the stem and cut the whole thing down the middle.  

After you scoop out the seeds and goopy part,
the spaghetti like part scrapes out so easily!
This is just one half of the squash and it's a ton!

So you can boil it, bake it or fry it but I did it mostly raw.
I heated it in a pan with no oil or butter just to warm it up.
The side dish is roasted purple potatoes and red onion from our CSA.


Then I topped it off with a tomato sauce with Boca crumbles.

     Well there you have it!  That was my night with spaghetti squash!  Oh and the most important part I almost left out:  it tastes great!  It's kinda sweet and really crunchy.  I really highly recommend it!

      Let me know if you have any question or if you have any recipes that you recommend I try.

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That looks great Denise plus it is Vegan-Yippee!!!

    ReplyDelete