Wednesday, March 13, 2013

1st Anniversary Series Begins!!

Today begins a string of "One Year Ago Today."


I am going to do my best to recount each thing as it's "one year" rolls around.  I thought I was just going to celebrate for today, but what I can feel building up inside is that I will be celebrating for at least a week.  I am just now starting to really be hit by how far I have come.

One year ago today, I decided for no good reason to begin doing the Couch to 5k program.  When I started I was a mess.  I could barely jog for the 60 seconds the program required.

Today I cannot run at all due to tendinitis in my quad and patella in my left knee.  I ran too much.  What I didn't know in March of last year was that I was beginning a very intense love affair with running.  Today I had an MRI on my leg to see if I can get the all clear to run again and when I do, I know exactly where I am going back to, my humble beginnings with Couch to 5K.  I will need to build up my strength and endurance again and I honestly cannot wait.  When I "Poof! Became a runner" (quote Dr. Turk) my brain went from no physical activity to being a runner in one day, my body has taken its time to catch up and at some point my brain surpassed my body, but my body put me back in check.  I accept.  What I will not accept is checkmate.  I am going to take this how ever slowly I need to so I can get the run back in my legs.  I remember those first few Couch to 5k runs.  I though my lungs would explode in my chest and that the muscles would burn right off of my legs.  I learned so much, how to pace myself, how to breathe and more importantly, that I was capable of something so much bigger then I had ever thought possible.  

Today marks my 1 year anniversary of being a runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment